Fwd: GCC 4.7.0 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Wed Mar 7 07:45:06 UTC 2012

Ralf,

Am 06.03.2012 09:39, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:

> Anyway, that said, I would not be surprized  if some parts of RTEMS
> (esp. BSPs) still carry implict dependencies on non-eabi and have never
> ever seen any real world testing with EABI.

If these hidden problems have not been detected in the last months,
going on with two parallel toolchain flavours will neither reveal nor
fix them. So forcing a flavour change may seem a harsh step but will
force all ARM users to use EABI and therefore detect/report problems.

> In other words, in case we can not avoid to abandon non-EABI arm, we
> need to identify these eabi un-tested parts in RTEMS and to remove them
> from rtems-4.11. My guess would be this is half of the arm BSPs.

I don't get your conclusion to "remove" _untested_ parts. If they are
_unused_, they should be removed. If they are in use and are broken with
EABI, they should be fixed.

It's the difference of preserving code (and keeping it alive as along as
possible without touching it) or adapting it to evolving standards.

Thomas.