GSoC 2012

Kevin Polulak kpolulak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 01:46:54 UTC 2012

Interesting. It sounds like the project isn't necessarily tied to just one
library but is rather about developing a package format for use with any
external third party software. Or does RTEMS already have a
pseudo-packaging system that the *Kit projects will use? Either way, it's
definitely do-able.

 Actually, I was initially attracted to the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack project.
However, like the wiki says, it's way too large to complete in a single
summer. Anyhow, I was looking through some of the other open projects and I
happened to stumble upon the LWIP project. Since LWIP is a lightweight
TCP/IP stack, this might just be conceivable.

 I spent the last weekend reading Adam Dunkel's masters thesis. LWIP is
very basic (compared to something like FreeBSD's stack, that is) and easy
to understand. I really enjoy network programming so this is something I
could really sink my teeth into.

 In his thesis, Dunkel mentions that a port of LWIP generally only requires
an implementation of the operating system emulation layer. I've only
briefly taken a look at the current RTEMS implementation of LWIP though.
What exactly needs to be updated? Is it actually broken or just not
utilizing some of the newer features of RTEMS (whatever they may be)? I'll
dig through the code a little more once I've completed my Hello World
example.

 Speaking of which, I plan to work on my Hello World example later tonight.
I'll submit it as soon as I'm done. I want to quick get things rolling so I
can become more familiar with the RTEMS source by fixing some bugs and
submitting a few patches. :)

--
- Kevin Polulak (soh_cah_toa)
- http://cybercrud.net