RFC: Removing $Id$

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed May 2 17:44:04 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 07:15 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> We apparently didn't reach an obvious consensus
> on removing $Id$ from every file that originated
> from RTEMS.[1]
>
> IMO it is time to remove this relic.
I agree, that these $Id$ now are meaningless and can be removed.

> Any objections.

My remark from previous discussion still remains:

Does git have a counterpart to $Id$, which can be used to identify the
version of a file?

> [1] No changes to *BSD, httpd, rpc/xdr or other third party
> originated code to be made.

These files usually carry RTEMS-CVS $Id$ (modulo bugs), which should be
subject to the same treatment as all other $Id$, but carry additional
protected/special $Id$s, which had been necessary to protect them from
RTEMS-CVS modifying these files' original $Id$s

Ralf