RFC: Removing $Id$

Wed May 2 18:06:47 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 12:44 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 05/02/2012 07:15 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We apparently didn't reach an obvious consensus
>> on removing $Id$ from every file that originated
>> from RTEMS.[1]
>>
>> IMO it is time to remove this relic.
> I agree, that these $Id$ now are meaningless and can be removed.
>
>> Any objections.
> My remark from previous discussion still remains:
>
> Does git have a counterpart to $Id$, which can be used to identify the
> version of a file?
I couldn't find anything that either didn't devolve to a hash
and/or require something special on the client side.  I didn't
think that having special plugins on the user side would be
desirable.

We don't tend to use the Ids much in bug reporting discussions.
I don't know that they are as useful as they are something
we are used to having.

If someone's Google-foo turns up something, we can
certainly consider it. But it is a non-starter with git
from my research.

Ralf.. you are pretty good at this type of script. If you are
up for doing this and no one objects, it would be appreciated.
The only caveats I see if that files often have this pattern (1)

  *
  *  $Id$
  */

Or ...

   *
   *  $Id$
   *
   *  Some text

It may be necessary to crunch two comments lines into 1 after
removing the $Id$.

The other pattern is in configure.ac and Makefile.am files
which often only have a comment block which doesn't have
much other then the $Id$ in it. What makes sense to leave?

## Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
##
## $Id$

What should that look like afterwards?

I think most, if not all assembly, follows the C style rules for
file headers so should be the same as C files.
>> [1] No changes to *BSD, httpd, rpc/xdr or other third party
>> originated code to be made.
> These files usually carry RTEMS-CVS $Id$ (modulo bugs), which should be
> subject to the same treatment as all other $Id$, but carry additional
> protected/special $Id$s, which had been necessary to protect them from
> RTEMS-CVS modifying these files' original $Id$s
Agreed for *BSD code. Each library would have to be examined
to ensure the proper rule to apply.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985