Ralf's Remove CVS Id Commits

Fri May 4 17:46:29 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 12:41 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Am 04.05.2012 18:34, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> On 05/04/2012 05:07 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>>
>>> I am sure you don't want the community to inspect each patch separately?
>> Pardon, I am the original author of all the files and probably nobody
>> knows these better than me. I had applied many much more intrusive
>> patches in similar ways many times before.
> No problem with that. Actually I have two problems with todays patches:
>
> - they hit the same area where Joel has mentioned he is working at it.
> Forcing a patch collision without prior warning IMHO is not a good,
> cooperative style within a OS community.
On top of that, you specifically asked me not to "nibble". That
is exactly what you did.

> - According to the git history, your $Id modifications were applied as
> about 50 separate commits. And this is not how one should work with git.
>
> Removing the 50 patches from the 4.10 branch now needs 50 separate
> operations instead of one.
Applying what a  change to a release branch that does not
address a bug has never been an acceptable.

>> I am surely not perfect and surely do not want exclude something might
>> have gone wrong somewhere, but this request of yours makes me sad.
> I didn't want to question your technical experience, please take my
> apologees if my posting induced something different. But I highly
> question the sense behind these patches being split.
I don't think anyone needs to be an expert on anything other
than scripting and string matching/replacing to perform this
task.
>>> I assume that the goal/intention of each patch is quite silimar. Am I
>>> right here? Or do they have different goals/intentions?
>> ... these changes were script-generated ,. the spots changed were
>> trivial to parse comment blocks.
> I am sure about that. But why didn't you collect the script outputs and
> merge them into one atomic patch?
>
>>> Why did you let it glue independent commits?
>> I did not do anything - This was the tool somebody (I think it was
>> Chris) had installed on rtems.org to send CVS commit logs.
> The patches where transferred to GIT as independent actions. If you
> don't belive it, look into:
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/log/
>
> The generated mail messages simply reflected this. So the mail
> generation worked perfectly and should not be blamed here.
Yes. The mail generation tool did exactly what it
was supposed to do. Each git commit generates an
email message.

--joel

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985