Ralf's Remove CVS Id Commits

Fri May 4 17:55:39 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 11:34 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 05:07 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>> Ralf,

>>> Did you actually have a look into the patches?
>> Yes and no. I read some at the beginning, some in the middle and some at
>> the end of your two patch sequences. I saw that each patch performs
>> similar modifications for different directories or dir trees. I saw that
>> you have committed separate patches with similar changes for each BSP or
>> group of BSPs.
> Correct ...
>
>> I am sure you don't want the community to inspect each patch separately?
> Pardon, I am the original author of all the files and probably nobody
> knows these better than me. I had applied many much more intrusive
> patches in similar ways many times before.
I'm the author of a lot of the source in the tree and I don't trust
anyone's script enough to commit the result without a review.

I don't care who edits the damned files. The issue is that I
posted (1) complete patches for most of the tree and
(2) I asked for review.

You ignored (1) and by "nibbling" are making my work
"hard". You didn't want anyone to do that to you but it
was OK to do that to me.

When I ask for review on something, I think it is something
that needs review. I don't care who wrote it or how it
was generated. Why is your script any less suspect than mine?

> I am surely not perfect and surely do not want exclude something might
> have gone wrong somewhere, but this request of yours makes me sad.
This isn't about how you feel. This is about cooperating.

You ignored my near work which eliminated ALL CVS Ids
in most of the tree. It was available for review and
I had specifically asked for review. If anyone has
reason to have their feelings hurt, it is me.  You obviously
think my changes were not worthy of your review time
and it didn't matter if you "nibbled" and caused me
extra work.

Somehow your changes were above needing to be
reviewed while mine were unworthy of your review.

>> I assume that the goal/intention of each patch is quite silimar. Am I
>> right here? Or do they have different goals/intentions?
> ... these changes were script-generated ,. the spots changed were
> trivial to parse comment blocks.
So were mine. What makes your "nibbling" so superior that
it could conflict with my complete work which was available
for review?
>>> The mashing up of the commit messages wasn't done by CVS. It was the
>>> tool being used to produce the commit messages, which was polling at 1
>>> hour intervals and glueing together independent commits.
>> Why did you let it glue independent commits?
> I did not do anything - This was the tool somebody (I think it was
> Chris) had installed on rtems.org to send CVS commit logs.
That is an operator error on your part.  That's why I did the
work on a git branch on my personal repo. It could be reviewed,
the patches squashed into a single "automatic" and a
single "manual" if that was what the community wanted.

The review was for both "correctness" and to ensure
that the community was happy with the edits.