Generated files in Git

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed May 16 10:35:56 UTC 2012

Hello,

we have found some files that are generated during build, and thus should not
be under configuration management (CM).

If you put the RTEMS source tree under CM with for example Rational Synergy,
then this leads to problems.

So, when trying to build from a Rational Synergy work area, which by default is
write protected, we get some errors. There are .c files, that are generated by
running sed on a .in file, but that fails because the generated files were in
the original Git repository, and thus migrated into Synergy. Actually only the
Makefile.am and the .in should be under CM.

As you know, there are two flavours of CM systems, CVS style (modify-commit)
and RCS style (lock-modify-commit). Synergy is “RCS style”, while Git is CVS
style. That is why we have bigger problems with this inconsistency.

The “wrong” files are

         - 3 .c files in rtems/testsuites/libtests/complex/

         - 1 .c file in rtems/testsuites/libtests/math/

         - 1 .c file in rtems/testsuites/libtests/mathf/

         - 1 .c file in rtems/testsuites/libtests/mathl/

Also, the Makefile does not clean the generated files on “make distclean”.

How to fix this?  Remove the generated files from Git and add a distclean hook?

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de