RTEMS in Pok analysis questions

Julien Delange julien.delange at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:27:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM, WL <jolkaczad at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the adaptation layer is to be in the form of a BSP, the minimal
> ingredients for it are the linker script, Make customization file and
> some startup code. The only service truly required is the console
> driver.

You'll have a BSP for at least each architecture. But this is also the
purpose of this project to define exactly the structure within RTEMS
and how we could avoid code duplication.
For a first example, I guess that only the console service would be required.

> I don't understand about executing on top of the POK kernel. Is it
> just with the libpok services disabled through the configuration
> macros?

In POK, the libpok is used by partitions code to interact with POK.
The libpok layer interacts directly with the kernel. So, you can call
libpok services from RTEMS but maybe you can avoid that and directly
call POK services from the RTEMS/BSP. It is up to you and I think that
once we will have a first example that works, we will have idea and
suggestions about how to improve the first shot. But also, you may
want to avoid to use the libpok in RTEMS, especially because you would
like to have a generic interface to also be able to execute the same
RTEMS instance on top of another partitioned kernel/hypervisor (like
AIR or XtraTuM). But this is still far and we need to have a fist try
that works and then, discuss re-engineering and improvements.