RFC: Removing $Id$

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri May 4 00:10:37 UTC 2012

On 4/05/12 1:09 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Released sources (tarballs) must be independent of the VCS in use but
> must provide sufficient meta-information to keep them long term
> (measured in decades) maintainable.

Any project that relies solely on that sort of information to track the
state of the released source they use is asking for trouble. I actively
encourage verification and validation teams I have work with or been
part of to not rely on them because the tools that support them allow
for it to be turned off all the time globally, or on a specific source
or overridden at checkout. There is no indication the value in the file
is correct because no indication is given updating of the token occurred.

> CVS had supplied $Id$ as its means to provide such meta-information.
 > With git, we currently have nothing comparable.

With git the project has the ability to clone the repo and archive that.