Ralf's Remove CVS Id Commits

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri May 4 16:34:33 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 05:07 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Am 04.05.2012 16:44, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> On 05/04/2012 04:10 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>>>
>>> These changes belong together. Nobody wants this change to be done in
>>> one BSP and NOT done in a different one.
>> Did you actually have a look into the patches?
>
> Yes and no. I read some at the beginning, some in the middle and some at
> the end of your two patch sequences. I saw that each patch performs
> similar modifications for different directories or dir trees. I saw that
> you have committed separate patches with similar changes for each BSP or
> group of BSPs.
Correct ...

> I am sure you don't want the community to inspect each patch separately?

Pardon, I am the original author of all the files and probably nobody
knows these better than me. I had applied many much more intrusive
patches in similar ways many times before.

I am surely not perfect and surely do not want exclude something might
have gone wrong somewhere, but this request of yours makes me sad.

> I assume that the goal/intention of each patch is quite silimar. Am I
> right here? Or do they have different goals/intentions?
... these changes were script-generated ,. the spots changed were
trivial to parse comment blocks.

>>> Maybe you should get familiar with the idea that git does apply patches
>>> in an atomic way and not in a uncorrelated file-by-file basis as CVS
>>> does.
>>
>> The mashing up of the commit messages wasn't done by CVS. It was the
>> tool being used to produce the commit messages, which was polling at 1
>> hour intervals and glueing together independent commits.
>
> Why did you let it glue independent commits?
I did not do anything - This was the tool somebody (I think it was
Chris) had installed on rtems.org to send CVS commit logs.

Ralf