ANN: Upgrade rtems-4.11-autoconf to autoconf-2.69

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed May 23 17:24:30 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 07:12 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Ralf Corsepius
> <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>  wrote:
>> On 05/23/2012 06:28 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:

>>> I see, so ./bootstrap should (and does) restore the versions in git.
>>> I'm not sure why these files are even in git then if we use approach
>>> #1?
>> They are required to be part of the source-tree for the autotools to work
>> correctly.
>>
>> (They are not generated, they are copied - This might be difficult to
>> understand, but is an essential difference)

>>> It seems like #2 would mean we should keep the files in git.
>> Let me put it this way, #2 needs further inspection when more
>> generated/copied files will enter the repository.
>>
>> My plan is to gradually add more of them to git to make people gradually
>> familar with the impact and the mindset behind this.
>>
> Well, speaking for myself, I would prefer to be explained ahead of
> time rather than trying to understand as things are gradually rolled
> out and having to question it each time another copied (or generated)
> file is added to the repository.

The explanation is very short:

* All sources must be in git. This consists of all files you currently
find after running bootstrap but autom4te.cache.
It comprises all *.ins, all *.m4s all *.ac all configure, and several
other files more.

Cf. how gcc, binutils and other packages handle this.

* --enable-maintainer-mode implies read/write access to the sources.
People who are using a readonly source tree must not use it, but rely
upon the files in git being current.

Ralf