Adding autoheader generated files to git

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu May 24 07:04:20 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 08:34 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/24/2012 06:31 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> [...]
>> As mentioned briefly in another thread, I intend to gradually add the
>> generated
>> sources to git.
> [...]
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to add the Autotools generated files.
I obviously have to disagree.

> For example what happens if you check out a previous commit (Autotools
> generated files are not included) and check out a new commit (Autotools
> generated files are include)?

All files in git need to be up-to-date, i.e. be regenerated with the
appropriate version of the autotools by the committer when committing a
change.

This is the same policy as, eg. gcc, newlib, binutils and gdb apply for
decades.

> Then you have to make a bootstrap -c
> before.
No, because all files in git are supposed to be up-to-date, this
normally will hardly be necessary.

> Also the Autotools generated files are quite huge.
Yes, but this isn't much of a problem, the real problems are elsewhere.

Ralf