[rtems-libbsd commit] Added -g option to Makefile.

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Oct 26 09:15:30 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 10:30 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>> b) the problem with this change is it hard-coding compiler flags - This
>> is a classical newbie mistake.
>
> I see nothing wrong with hard-coding here because it will be thrown away
> then the code is moved into the main repo. The focus of the project is
> the TCP stack and not a build system.

Well, IMO, the build-system is a very important key component of a
package. What you are doing right now is applying the working
principle's RTEMS was based on 20-15 years ago, something, many people
immediately removed once RTEMS went public (In particular Jiri Gaisler
and me).

>> c) My opinion about Joel's Makefile fragment system is known.
>> The most polite formulation of my opinion on it is: Don't use it.
>
> Then may I suggest you ignore it.
That's what I have been doing for most of time. However, I didn't expect
people to pick them up for major contributions.

> It is not harming anyone and it is
> letting them get the project done.

My opinion differs.

It has been and is harming the project insofar, as it is
* a "light bulb attracting the flies" (until the flies notice they will
get burnt).

* the origin of having to carry around ballast inside of the source-tree.

Ralf