RFC: ARM GCC changes

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Sep 25 11:47:16 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 12:36 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>>
>>> As I tried to tell you several times before, I consider this step
>>>
>>> a) to be silly, because it raises abiguities to the "arm-rtems*"
>>> target tuple
>>> and breaks the clear distingtion between "arm-rtems" and
>>> "arm-rtemseabi*" we
>>> currently have.
>>
>> We have only one ARM tool chain configuration in the current RTEMS
>> development version and this is arm-rtemseabi. The ARM tool chain is the
>> only exception to the $ARCH-rtems pattern. This is confusing and leads
>> to special cases in general support scripts.

This doesn't mean much more but your scripts to be lacking generality.

>> There is absolutely no
>> reason to have two ARM tool chain configuration for new versions of
>> RTEMS.

I vehemently disagree:

* arm-rtems4.11/gcc-4.8 would be eabi.
* arm-rtems/gcc-4.7 would fail to build
* arm-rtems4.11/gcc-4.7 would expect *-eabi
* arm-rtems4.11/gcc-4.6 would be abi.

* arm-rtems* would apply conventions arm*eabi users do not expect.

> +1
>
> Please make the change and remove the ARM ABI mess we have. Sebastian,
> thanks for the patch.
There is no mess, IMO, this all is bikesheding for no technical reasons
but for personal reasons.

All this patch would do is to replace a clear separation with a mess and
cause further mess. Of course you (Chris) will not experience much of
the mess Sebastian is causing, because you are not packing the toolchains.

Ralf