Application Configuration GUI.

Rempel, Cynthia cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sat Apr 6 02:01:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

Okay, so we can probably strike out Eclipse (I don't use it that much either...).

If Python is used, I'm rather partial to a wxWidgets or straight tk solution, just because of so many issues with a specific host OS dependent graphical library.

The work-around to handling a wxPython dependency is include wx in the application.  One such discussion can be found: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6917456/how-can-i-package-my-python-application-with-external-python-libraries .

Although design tools are distasteful for some developers, using design a tool such as http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/785177-wxformbuilder for developing a rapid prototype would free the developer to concentrate more on the functionality, and less on tailoring the graphics.

So the overall idea (for a wx application) would be:

1. a quick user mock-up done with a design tool,
- either -
2a. a simple parser, and a script to quickly auto-generate the code from what the parser extracts into a format usable by the design tool
- or -
2b. a substitution script to put the code from either confdefs.h or rtems/doc/user/conf.t into a format usable by the design tool

3. a call to the design tool
4. a call to the packaging tool

The overall idea for a tk application would be steps 1-3.

IMO, learning a design tool may sound like an unnecessary step, but it will save time both in the short-run and long-run.  I also suspect that having the application automatically install wx would handle the wx dependency.