Benchmark Apps for RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sat Apr 20 03:50:03 UTC 2013

Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Rempel, Cynthia
> <cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu>  wrote:
>>
>> My understanding is we have been trying for months to get examples-v2 to be Waf-based, and because of the header problems, we have been unsuccessful so far.  Waf is a step up in complexity over a standard Makefile; if we go that route, we need the examples-v2 with a Waf build system publicly available as a reference first...
>>
> I don't know about the effort to port examples-v2 personally, so I
> don't know what complications may exist. If the installed headers are
> holding it up, and also would hold up any Waf-based kit
> infrastructure, then the dependency and risk needs to be addressed.
> But I would want to hear more detail about the problem before calling
> it a blocker.

The only block on getting this done is the need for me to eat and sleep ;)

Someone just has to do the work. All we need is someone to step forward.
I will help support them. Anyone ?

>> Only a select few RTEMS developers know how to use Waf and we don't want this to be an elitist open-source project.  There needs to be a publically available tutorial for how to maintain a Waf-based build-system (I think its inadvisable that only a few people should have keys to the build-system kingdom)...
>>
> I don't have personal experience with Waf other than using it a couple
> of times. I don't see Waf as an elitist project, but actually I think
> it may be much more accessible than Make and auto* approaches. Waf has
> quite good documentation about the Waf system and about how to build
> custom build systems if we need such flexibility.

I agree. I have also provided an example tarball in my ftp area with
python code to hook to an installed RTEMS. If there are issues with that
code please let me know.

>> I will go along with doing a Waf-based build system, I would like to hear your refutations, but I think it's inadvisable to do so until the above issues are addressed.

It is different to make and others and knowing Python helps. You need to
invest a small amount of time in doing some examples and reading the waf
book. If there is an interest I can run a Google Hangout and we can
discuss using waf with RTEMS and how it works. This can be streamed to
the RTEMS You Tube channel.