[GSOC] : Patches for merging different syslog.h

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Apr 14 22:46:15 UTC 2013

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 4/14/2013 11:50 AM, Rempel, Cynthia wrote:
>> Wow, there are a lot of header files... Looks like we might be
>> identifying which headers to not install more than merging, in either
>> case, verifying each change to the installed headers won't break
>> something will probably not be possible over the summer, so one of the
>> primary goals of this project would be to outline how to identify
>> which installed headers should be private (and not install them
>> instead of merging them), and then outline how to merge the headers
>> together by name.
> Good point. Not installing a conflicting .h file is even better. :)
>
> If you only need <uart.h> to build your BSP. Leave it in the source
> tree. This IS TESTABLE because the scope of the change is limited.

When I last looked there where about 5 uart.h files and all were
different so you need to find them, match them to the specific source
and rename.

> I am assuming that for chip specific .h files, this is possible but for
> bus oriented ones
> which might be used to access cards/devices added by the user, this is
> not possible.
> For example, user applications might include device drivers for VMEBus,
> CompactPCI,
> PCI, and AMBA bus devices.

I seem to remember there is also case problems. One or more headers have
different cases for the same name. This also needs to be fixed. The
issues show up on file systems that are case insensitive.

There are also a class of files with almost the same contents. These
require more effort because you need to make sure you can merge them,
rename them or what-ever.