Exploring POSIX API Related Work

Wed Apr 17 14:46:36 UTC 2013

On 4/16/2013 11:29 PM, Vivek Krishnamurthy wrote:
> I would like to explore and then enhance support for POSIX APIs on
> RTEMS. I am currently going through the RTEMS POSIX API manual
> available at
> http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.10.2/share/rtems/html/index.html
> Any pointers towards pending functionality here would be a great start.
RTEMS POSIX support is a combination of RTEMS itself and the newlib
C Library.

I only know of a few things that are not implemented that are
"implementable"
in a meaningful manner. This may not be complete but it close.

+ some wide character routines missing in newlib
+ complex math in newlib
+ thread cancellation in RTEMS has bugs
+ a few odd POSIX 2008 thread routines
+ dup() may or may not still need work.

There is a POSIX status document in the manual set which could
stand scrubbing to be up to date.

Beyond that, running the glibc test suite against newlib on RTEMS targets
is a wish list item. Being able to get the resulting coverage reports from
those using the RTEMS Test Coverage framework would be awesome.

Following that line, the Test Coverage reporting is not modular enough.
It needs to report by "areas of functionality" which mostly corresponds to
directories in the source tree.
>  I am open to creating a performance testing suite for POSIX APIs. Any
> other suggestions are welcome.

testsuites/psxtmtests has the POSIX Timing Test Suite. I don't know what
remains to be done. There is a .csv file with some ideas and status. It may
or may not have any cases identified that are not implemented.