SOCIS 2013

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at kovesdan.org
Tue Aug 6 10:16:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've submitted a SOCIS application for RTEMS about improvements of POSIX
conformance. I have experience in C and POSIX because of my FreeBSD
background so this seems to be an interesting project to me.

I'm sorry that I could not contact you earlier about the details but
I've had some other projects and I'm on vacation now with limited
connectivity, so I had to quickly write and submit my application. I
know there is few time left until the student selection but I wanted to
say hello here and I'll try to be responsive if you want to discuss any
details regarding my application. I've already contacted Joel from the
project and he provided my a summary on the status of POSIX header files.

I include my application below since I imagine that not all of you are
watching the SOCIS list.

Cheers,
Gabor

Project Description

POSIX conformance is a very important point in UNIX-like operating
systems. RTEMS has quite a good level of conformance but there are some
features that are not conformant and some others that are missing. This
project proposes to make a good progress in this direction and
significantly improve the conformance level of RTEMS.

Project Deliverables

The project will provide the following deliverables:
* Proper use of C99 restrict keywords.
* Fixed guards for XOpen extensions.
* A detailed list of missing functions.
* Implementation of as many of them as possible.
* Some test code provided for the implemented methods.

Timeline and Schedule

* 2 week: Get familiar with RTEMS and setting up the development
environment.
* 1 week: Fixing restrict keywords.
* 1 weeks: Fixing guards of XOpen functions.
* 2 weeks: Evaluating what is missing and if they can be ported from
somewhere; assess the priority of items.
* 6 weeks: Implementing these functions.

Why me?

* Despite being a student, I have relevant programming experience. I
have already participated in past years’ GsoC and SOCIS programmes.
* I am a FreeBSD committer, where I got experience with C programming
and POSIX.
* I have already worked on things related to POSIX-conformance, e.g.
BSD-licensed reimplementations of the iconv, grep and sort utilities so
I know the standards and I know where to look for things. In fact, my
BSc thesis was about the work I did on iconv but unfortunately I wrote
it in Hungarian so I cannot show it to you.