[rtems commit] smptests/smp07: Use suspend instead of delete

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Aug 7 06:18:52 UTC 2013

Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-08-07 07:55, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> In my view this is a blocker for 4.11. With such a bug we cannot say
>>> SMP is
>>> available and it was planned to be in 4.11.
>>>
>>> Is there a "hold giant lock" level solution ? That is something, even if
>>> performance is poor, that is stable.
>>
>> I don't know an easy solution for the thread deletion problem, see also
>>
>> http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2013-July/003509.html
>>

> A list of other unsupported features can be found here:
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/testsuites/smptests/smpunsupported01/init.c
>
> The task variable API will never work on SMP

I consider this a feature. I never liked that API. This might break the
environment stuff related to the shell which I think uses it. I need to
check.

> (the Ada self rtems_ada_self has the same problem).

I will leave that for Joel.

> For Newlib a similar fixed with the usage of __getreent().

Do you mean newlib has this fixed with __getreent()

> As a result the C++ support is currently broken on SMP.

Which specific bits ?

> The non-preempt mode can work on SMP, but I think this would lead to a
> broken design.

On SMP the Classic API should return an error.

> The bdbuf and the once functions will not work due to that (mutual
> exclusion via non-preempt doesn't work on SMP).

Yes, we need condition variables in the Classic API.