[rtems commit] smptests/smp07: Use suspend instead of delete

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Aug 7 06:02:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-07 07:55, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 2013-08-06 23:48, Chris Johns wrote:
>> Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>>
>>> -  (void) rtems_task_delete( RTEMS_SELF );
>>> +  /* FIXME: Task deletion currently not supported */
>>> +  (void) rtems_task_suspend( RTEMS_SELF );
>>>

>> In my view this is a blocker for 4.11. With such a bug we cannot say SMP is
>> available and it was planned to be in 4.11.
>>
>> Is there a "hold giant lock" level solution ? That is something, even if
>> performance is poor, that is stable.
>
> I don't know an easy solution for the thread deletion problem, see also
>
> http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2013-July/003509.html

A list of other unsupported features can be found here:

http://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/testsuites/smptests/smpunsupported01/init.c

The task variable API will never work on SMP (the Ada self rtems_ada_self has
the same problem).  For Newlib a similar fixed with the usage of __getreent().

As a result the C++ support is currently broken on SMP.

The non-preempt mode can work on SMP, but I think this would lead to a broken
design.

The bdbuf and the once functions will not work due to that (mutual exclusion
via non-preempt doesn't work on SMP).

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de