SMP Status Report

Joel Sherrill Joel.Sherrill at OARcorp.com
Fri Aug 30 10:11:21 UTC 2013

Thanks Sebastian!

Any guidance on what needs to be done to the rbtree?

My recollection is that the following use it:

+ rbheap
+ new pthread key
+ uniprocessor EDF and CBS
+ public rbtree API

None of the SMP schedulers currently depend on it and the
public rbtree API hasn't been in a release. But the other two
are impacted.

I am not complaining. Just wanting to make sure we note the
risk areas implied.
From: rtems-devel-bounces at rtems.org [rtems-devel-bounces at rtems.org] On Behalf Of Sebastian Huber [sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 4:18 AM
To: rtems-devel at rtems.org
Subject: Re: SMP Status Report

On 2013-08-20 12:15, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> The next major issue is the ISR disable/enable used for mutual exclusion.  This
> will not longer work on SMP.

I addressed this issue with the new _Assert_Owner_of_giant() assertion.  This
catches all places exposed by the test suite.

The red-black tree API is not SMP ready.  I will not work on this.

On SIS with SMP and debug enabled I get now the following test failures:

WARNING - log/heapwalk did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/imfs_fstime did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/mdosfs_fstime did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/mimfs_fstime did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/mrfs_fstime did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/sp2038 did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/sp69 did not appear to complete execution
WARNING - log/sprbtree01 did not appear to complete execution

Except the last one all failures are not due to SMP issues.

The RTEMS SMP support should now work correctly.

The next step is to implement the missing features like thread deletion, thread
restart, C++ and Ada support, condition variables for the Classic API, etc.

A huge area for improvements this the scheduler and associated locking
protocols and the removal of the giant lock.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de