[rtems commit] bsps/arm: Use ALIGN_WITH_INPUT

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Dec 19 07:36:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-19 01:30, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 17/12/2013 1:13 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Module:    rtems
>> Branch:    master
>> Commit:    287bbb65afd24ffc6254ae5f328733213f184205
>> Changeset:
>> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=287bbb65afd24ffc6254ae5f328733213f184205
>>
>> Author:    Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>> Date:      Fri Aug 30 17:43:16 2013 +0200
>>
>> bsps/arm: Use ALIGN_WITH_INPUT
>>
>> This requires at least Binutils 2.24.
>>
>> ---
>>
>>   .../lib/libbsp/arm/shared/include/linker-symbols.h |    6 -
>>   c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/shared/include/start.h        |    7 -
>>   c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/shared/startup/linkcmds.base  |  194 +++++++++-----------
>
> I will be reverting this change ...
>
> /usr/home/chris/development/rtems/4.11/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-rtems4.11/4.8.1/../../../../arm-rtems4.11/bin/ld:linkcmds.base:68:
> syntax error
>
> so I am broken and cannot commit the patches.

It would have been nice to wait some hours to give me a chance to comment on this.

> I think you will need to find another way to integrate this change if it
> depends on a specific binutils. Sure the RSB has the new binutils however this
> needs to work through into the tool sets in use and that takes time.

The new Binutils are in the RPMs and the RSB.  Updating Binutils is not that
time consuming.

> Also please note the commit message states what the patch is not what is fixes
> or provides. I have no idea what this patch addresses and what it attempts to
> fix or provide.

Sorry about this, but my experience of the past is that nobody in the RTEMS
project except me cares about the linker script copy and paste cleanup.  I sent
several emails to the list and got no answers.

This ALIGN_WITH_INPUT is absolutely necessary to make this linker script
reliable.  We talked about this issue several months ago.

https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2013-06/msg00246.html

https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.24/ld/Forced-Output-Alignment.html#Forced-Output-Alignment

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de