texinfo-5.0 available

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Feb 18 07:29:23 UTC 2013

On 02/17/2013 05:58 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Nice. Are we ready to switch our doc build to it?

Well, texinfo-5.0 is new major release - I.e. a it's "dot null" release,
released 2 days ago, which is likely to come with a lot of yet unknown
regressions, incompatibilities and bugs.

That said, IMO there'd be nothing wrong in individuals using it locally.
However, unless you want to add another package to the rtems-toolchains,
I do not consider it advisable to adopt it now and to mandatorially
require it for building RTEMS at this point in time (E.g. by exploiting
new features).

My advise: Not require it until texinfo-5.0 has seen substantial
exposure "to the wild" - E.g. until major Linux distros have adopted it
and major packages are using it.

Ralf