Documentation Dependency Tracking Bug

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Feb 25 11:45:02 UTC 2013

On 02/24/2013 06:48 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was tidying up my patches to support both Texinfo 4.x and 5.x
> for RTEMS documentation when I noticed a bug in the Makefile's
> and confirmed they are present without my modifications.
>
> Each manual has a version.texi which is supposed to be dependent
> on the timestamp of that manual's main file.  So the C User's Guide
> is dependent on touching c_user.texi to update version.texi.
Not quite - This would be a pretty broken design ;-)

Instead, automake keeps timestamps as text inside of separate files,
named stamp-vti, which are not automatically updated, but supposed to be
manually updated by the "package maintainer".

I.e. to update the timestamp files, the package maintainer is supposed
to do the following:

mkdir BUILDDIR
<path-to-rtems>/configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-docs
cd doc/<subdir>
make maintainer-clean-vti
make stamp-vti

Note: maintainer-clean-vti and stamp-vti are non-recursive and are only
available in maintainer-mode.

Sounds more complicated than it actually is.
  Simply consider that automake and the GNU Standards consider *.texis
as "package maintainer maintained" sources, which ordinary users are not
supposed to touch.

Ralf