SPI Support for ARM/AT91RM9200

Mon Feb 11 17:29:03 UTC 2013

On 2/11/2013 11:12 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Wendell Silva <silvawp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More questions:
>>
>> - In order to make CSB337 working on the target hardware, I would like to
>> disable MicroMonitor's support by default, since it was broken sometime in
>> the past (between 4.9.99 until now).  So I'm planing to add a new option
>> like RTEMS_ENABLED_UMON_SUPPORT=0, at least until we can figure out why the
>> system resets when monConnect() is called. Probably uMon needs to be
>> recompiled too; anyway... Further details are documented in the RTEMS
>> BugZilla (bug #2088). The question is: Do you agree with the creation of
>> such a configuration option? This option would be in the BSP (csb337) level.
>>
>> - I'm doing these additions based on 4.11 (head). But, I would like to see
>> them in 4.10.x too. So, once submitted, would they be merged to the 4.10.3
>> in the near future?
>>
> New features do not often make their way into release branches, so I
> don't think the SPI code is likely, but it is not my decision to make.
It often depends on how intrusive it is. Hardware specific additions that
are unlikely to negatively impact any other uses of the same BSP have
been accepted in the past. New BSPs, drivers, etc.

New APIs, BSP rewrites, etc tend to be avoided.

> We are hoping to release 4.11 soon, and I will add your SPI driver to
> our TODO list.
Definitely. Just keep us aware of progress and push to get it in.

If you beat the branching point, the discussion is a lot easier. :)

--joel