ChangeLog change to .ChangeLog

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Feb 27 13:56:37 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 02:37 PM, Thomas Dörfler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my understanding is, that the information in the ChangeLogs (from our
> CVS history) are not/not completely integrated into the GIT comments. So
> they still maintain history information from pre-GIT times.
>
> Your other question. I am sure there will be developers working without
> GIT access.
Correct.

xxx years ahead, when git will long be replaced by something else and
the RTEMS project may long be history, the then-users will appreciate
these ChangeLogs, when "Gulch and Endeavor Patent Enforcement Inc." will
sue them for patent infringement.

> They should also have access to the history available in
> GIT.

IMO, GIT is an implementation detail of todays infrastructure, without
any actual importance and with even less importance to future releases.

> We had that discussion when switching to GIT and I am not sure
> about the results of that discussion (sorry).
IIRC, there was not result. Some people claimed Changelogs are
irrelevant and redundant to git. I vehemently disagreed (and still
disagree) with this reasoning.

Ralf