Improvements to SMP support

Cynthia Rempel cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sun Jan 20 02:01:25 UTC 2013

Hope this helps!
From: ritz.ritesh25 at gmail.com [ritz.ritesh25 at gmail.com] on behalf of Ritesh Harjani [ritesh.harjani at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:14 PM
To: Cynthia Rempel
Cc: rtems-devel at rtems.org
Subject: Re: Improvements to SMP support

Hi Cynthia

Thanks for your reponse. Please find answers to your queries inline.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Cynthia Rempel <cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu<mailto:cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu>> wrote:
Hi Ritesh,

We appreciate your interest in RTEMS!
As you are familiar with ARM, would you be more interested in starting with the ARM port?

The error: checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in `/home/xunil/Downloads/b-gcc_2/i386-rtems4.11/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

Indicates to me one of three possibilities:
1. the rtems patches weren't applied
2. newlib was not linked into the gcc toolset,
3. the toolchain was not exported into the path

Sure will try my best at that. The sooner the better. Do mail me the guideline as to how should I proceed with that.
The directions for building the RTEMS toolset on Ubuntu, using GCC-4.7...

http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_RTEMS_toolset_on_Ubuntu

The directions for building RTEMS toolset on Ubuntu using GCC-4.8 (not recommended for beginners)...
The configuration last used for an arm-rtems target in gcc-testresults is:

/home/sh/archive/gcc-4.8-20120923/configure \
 'CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=-B/home/sh/install-4.8-20120923/arm-rtems4.11/edb7312/lib/ ' \
 --with-ppl=/users/joel/test-gcc/install-svn/ \
 --enable-threads=rtems \
 --with-gnu-as \
 --with-gnu-ld \
 --disable-newlib \
 --verbose \
 --with-system-zlib \
 --disable-nls \
 --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
 --enable-languages=c,fortran \
 --target=arm-rtems4.11 \
 --prefix=/home/sh/install-4.8-20120923

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-09/msg02507.html

Are you using the VM, pre-built tools, or building your own tool set?... There are different guidelines for each.

I tried building my own tool set, but due to the error (mentioned in previous mail) couldn't proceed further.

Are you using minGW, Fedora, Ubuntu, or another type of host?

I am using 64bit Ubuntu OS.

I would suggest as far as limiting options using some flags, such as,
-mcpu=arm9 and then identifying an RTEMS_BSP that has an arm9 core...

To build GCC testing on Mint, I installed the prerequisites for installing the RTEMS toolset on Ubuntu, then followed the directions at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html

But if all you're interested in is building SMP support with RTEMS, it may be possible to follow http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_RTEMS_toolset_on_Ubuntu as is, and use GCC-4.7 instead of GCC-4.8...

Thanks,
Cynthia Rempel