Improvements to SMP support

Steven Grunza sgrunza at ctdi.com
Mon Jan 21 12:44:54 UTC 2013

From: rtems-devel-bounces at rtems.org
[mailto:rtems-devel-bounces at rtems.org] On Behalf Of Ritesh Harjani
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:15 PM
To: Cynthia Rempel
Cc: rtems-devel at rtems.org
Subject: Re: Improvements to SMP support

Hi Cynthia

Thanks for your reponse. Please find answers to your queries inline.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Cynthia Rempel
<cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu> wrote:

Hi Ritesh,

We appreciate your interest in RTEMS!
As you are familiar with ARM, would you be more interested in starting
with the ARM port?

Sure will try my best at that. The sooner the better. Do mail me the
guideline as to how should I proceed with that.

	Are you using the VM, pre-built tools, or building your own tool
set?... There are different guidelines for each.

I tried building my own tool set, but due to the error (mentioned in
previous mail) couldn't proceed further.

	Are you using minGW, Fedora, Ubuntu, or another type of host?

I am using 64bit Ubuntu OS.

	Ritesh,

	  I haven't tried using Ubuntu for RTEMS development for a year
or two but there may be native .deb packages for RTEMS development using
Ubuntu available now; it was a work-in-progress last I checked.

	  The method I used involved the "alien" package on Ubuntu which
I used to convert Fedora .RPM packages into .DEB packages for Ubuntu.
The procedure is documented on the RTEMS wiki at
http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_and_UbuntuI haven't tried the
procedure lately but I would suggest trying the procedure given using
the packages in
http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/linux/4.11/fedora/18/x86_64/.

	  Compiling the tools from source is an interesting exercise but
if you're more interested in developing RTEMS itself or applications
running on RTEMS (instead of building tools), it seems to me the easier
path is to use pre-compiled tools whenever possible.

	Steven G.