Patches for Newlib and RTEMS

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Jul 8 14:46:08 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 03:33 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the patches sent today for Newlib and RTEMS require a re-build of the
> tool chain.

=> These patches are not adequat at this point in time.

In particuliar RTEMS needs to be adapted to not rely upon them.

>  The changes are
>
> 1. Removal of the thread-specific atexit() support to reduce the size of
> struct _reent.  See discussion on the Newlib list.
>
> 2. Usage of __DYNAMIC_REENT__ for SMP support and simpler context
> switching.
>
> 3. POSIX cleanup push/pop implementation change.

Whether these patches make sense is a different question. I think they
are too intrusive and should all be rejected.

Ralf

PS.: Honestly, RTEMS needs to return to a more organized development
model. The way RTEMS currently is being developed to me qualifies as
unprofessional hackery.