Tool chain for RTEMS 4.11

Wed Jul 17 16:57:20 UTC 2013

On 7/16/2013 11:29 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/16/2013 05:49 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:

>>> Why not just automatically update the RTEMS-Source-Builder?
>>>
>> Not everyone will use the RSB, and we prefer it that way.
> Correct.
>
> It's OK as a test bed, but it's not suiteable as a means of proper
> system integration.
I love your non-constructive comments with no technical justification.
Do you expect us to hear "Ralf doesn't like it" and do your bidding?

Providing RPMs or any other nicely packaged binaries for a particular
host is a nice thing to do. But each packaging format is a point solution
for a particular OS, version, host CPU, target processor, and tool
versions.

It does not address a number significant number of issues:

+ What about OSes which don't make the binary support list?
+ What about users who need a patch that is not officially supported?
+ What about users that want anything vaguely resembling
    long term configuration management on their tools?
+ What about users who need to build the libraries with specific
     flags?

We can not and will not force RTEMS users to particular host OS
solutions.

Plus this ignores the elephant in the room. You personally decided
not to upgrade the RPMs to newlib 2.0.0.  The RPMs shipped are
built with a monstrous newlib patch (2.4 MB and 72K lines).

There has been a concerted effort to submit all patches upstream
in a timely manner. Queues of older patches have largely been
cleared and we can use close to vanilla upstream source.

You are not using the version and patches the community wants
to use.

If the RPMs are to have any value, then they need to be adjusted
to match the community requirements.