FYI: Short term SMP fixes

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Jul 26 11:16:21 UTC 2013

Hello,

the header file reorganization is now complete (an exception are the POSIX key
header files, since Ashi works on this currently).

Most modules (XYZ) have now two header files xyz.h and xyzimpl.h.  The xyz.h
contains the application visible API (e.g. data structures, public functions,
only some private inline functions).  The xyzimpl.h contains implementation
details.

The define __RTEMS_VIOLATE_KERNEL_VISIBILITY__ is now without effect.

This change breaks applications using internal RTEMS functions.

The preprocessed <rtems.h>

/* begin of file */
#include <rtems.h>
/* end of file */

dropped from 160655 bytes to 112553 bytes.

This

/* begin of file */
#define __RTEMS_VIOLATE_KERNEL_VISIBILITY__
#include <rtems.h>
/* end of file */

resulted in 231515 bytes.

Once the new POSIX key implementation is integrated there is some additional
cleanup to do.

It is possible to further reduce the visibility of internal RTEMS data
structures.  They are only needed by confdefs.h.  We have to further split up
the xyz.h file into a xyzapi.h and xyz.h.  The xyzapi.h would contain the
public API only and xyz.h the data structures required for confdefs.h.

After this we should encourage users to test the current 4.11 version and
report problems.  We may have to make some internal functions public in case
there is a reasonable use case for them.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de