Dependencies issue with the test applications

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Jul 30 13:06:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> Hello R.,
>

> On 2013-07-30 11:19, R. Diez wrote:
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I am still trying to port RTEMS to the Arduino Due. After having
>> implemented the start-up code and the basic serial port console, I am trying
>> to get the hello.exe test application up and running.
>>
>> I noticed that, when I change a source file in my new Board Support
>> Package, hello.exe does not get rebuilt. This is slowing me down, as I need
>> to resort to a full build every time.
>>
>> I tried deleting just the hello.exe as a work-around, but that didn't
>> work.
>

> Deleting hello.exe should work.  In this case it must invoke the linker to
> produce an new hello.exe which uses the updated libraries.
>

>> Is there something wrong with the dependencies? Can someone else confirm
>> this with an older, tried-and-true BSP?
>

> Yes, this is a bug in the build system.  The *.exe files have no
> dependencies to the libraries in the build tree.

Try "make clean && make" just in the hello directory. My normal work flow is:
* bootstrap rtems (one time)
* configure rtems (one time): use --enable-maintainer-mode, and other
configure options you want e.g. --enable-tests, etc
* build rtems (one time): make at the root of the build tree

Then when I modify the Makefile.am or configure.ac files I will rerun
bootstrap -p && bootstrap just from the directory with the
configure.ac, and then "make" in the root of rtems build should only
configure and update the dependent files.

When I modify source code files that exist, I can just type "make" to
rebuild rtems. However, the test suite applications are not dependent
on the libraries, sas pointed out by Sebastian, so I also will "make
clean" in testsuites (or whichever test suite I want to run, e.g.
samples, or just hello) and then "make".