[GSoC] BAT vs Pages on PowerPC [Please give a feedback]

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Jun 24 12:48:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>>
>> Chris,

>>> The ARM which I am currently using and have handy seems to support 1MB,
>>> 64K and 4K ranges depending on the TLB table level used. I would be
>>> surprised if an entry was needed for each page in use.
>>

>> Classic PowerPC ist not that flexible. The 603(e) core, that is quite
>> often used in PPC controllers, has a fixed page table entry size of 4K,
>> so the number of TLB entries (the "page cache") will never cover the
>> whole lot of pages for a suitable memory size.
>

> Interesting and thanks. It is a difficult API to make because of these
> reasons. Hesham has some interesting challenges.

Yes. That is why we are now focusing from the bottom-up to try to
resolve the differences among MMU/MPU/processors support for memory
mapping both for translation and protection.

>> So for this derivative (and many others) it's "Use (statically
>> initialized) BATs or (dynamically reloaded) TLB entries".
>>

> Agreed. Is this worth adding to the API ?

I'm not sure how to abstract the two cases out, although it seems like
many MMUs offer two useful alternatives for coarse-grained and
fine-grained memory mapping/protection.  For example, we have the
BAT/pages for some ppc, X86 has segmentation/pages, ARM has
large/small pages. So, it might be sensible to create a way to define
a coarse-grained mapping that uses for example
BAT/segments/superpages, and a fine-grained mapping using pages. I
would expect coarse-grained could be used in both static and dynamic
cases, and fine-grained would be primarily intended for dynamic
mapping/protection.

-Gedare