Delete ChangeLog files Was :Re: ChangeLog change to .ChangeLog

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 6 18:28:43 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 06:44 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Am 06.03.2013 18:34, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> On 03/06/2013 04:20 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>>> If the ChangeLog entry text is by and large replicated already in the
>>> git log, then I see no reason to keep the files hanging around
>>> bit-rotting.
>> Again, ... the git-logs are a temporary internal implementation detail,
>> the ChangeLog files are legal documents.
>
> Can you elaborate this more clearly?
Whatever data is stored in whatever VCS is being used at a certain point
in time is completely irrelevant.

> I can't see any legal character in
> the changelogs or any RTEMS project files (except the copyright headers
> and License statements). Nobody sells RTEMS,
Again, simply accept that ChangeLogs are documents and are legally relevant.

> nobody assures the features
> of RTEMS based on the Changelogs or the git logs. So what exactly do you
> mean the "legal"?
Time stamps, authorship, copyrights etc.

>> Git is like your employer carrying your working contract's data in their
>> internal database - The only document that counts is the version you
>> have printed.
>
> Right. But there is no RTEMS contract.
There is a product called RTEMS. The ChangeLogs are part of its legally
relevant documentation.

Just wait 10 years, when  "Gready business" sues you, because they got
to know that your business has sold an RTEMS-based application/product
in 2006, which as they claim, contains code which as they claim _you
stole_ from their works.

You'll soon be greatful, to find publically released ChangeLogs as part
of sources/tarballs, clearly documenting timeslines, changes, authorship
etc.

Ralf