Building and Testing a Canadian Cross-Compiler

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Sun Mar 24 16:41:39 UTC 2013

On 03/23/2013 07:12 PM, Rempel, Cynthia wrote:
> Thanks Sebastian Huber for finding that tutorial for a building a Canadian cross-compiler.
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Cross%20Win32%20and%20Win64%20compiler
>
> I found a rather out-dated tutorial for testing Canadian cross-compilers
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstest-howto.html
>
> It's possible that there might be additional testing resources in
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-testing
>
> I found gcc/do_one rather interesting...
>
> I am curious now, if neither minGW nor Cygwin are needed for RTEMS except for the auto-tools, would it be feasible to automatically generate daily (or weekly) snap-shots that are already boot-strapped?
Yes, definitely ... The autotool generated sources (e.g. Makefile.in,
config.h etc.) definitely belong into git.

However, when having done so, the patches were immediately reverted and
was virtually shot down - These incidents actually are the reason for my
current deep dissatisfation with certain people around here.

> And if so, what else would be required to get the RTEMS tool-set working for Windows users without Cygwin or minGW?
This would be very hard if not impossible. You basically need a
POSIX-shell environment and a POSIX compliant native C-compiler.

Providing these essentially are the core of MingGW and Cygwin.

Ralf