Bootstrapped snapshots

Rempel, Cynthia cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 24 21:46:14 UTC 2013

Hi Dr. Sherrill,

Perhaps two snapshots: yesterday, and the day before, as a user who REALLY wants an old snapshot could probably reconstruct one from an old git commit number? These aren't releases, after all.

Could it just be the core of rtems, like

git clone git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git
cd rtems
./bootstrap
cd ..
tar -acf tar -acf rtems-snapshot-YYYYMMDD.tar.xz rtems

(lzma might be yield a smaller file, but I don't know how to do that)

Could we not tag the snapshots in git, but rather make sure the git information needed for someone to run git diff from them?

Would it be possible to set it up so someone could get other people's changes from the snapshot, maybe like running git pull? Maybe even having the snapshot check if it's more than a week old, refusing to run git pull and telling the user to get a new snapshot.

Would it be desirable/feasible to throttle how quickly the snapshot gets downloaded?

Could we make it difficult/pointless to run rsync on this file?

Would it help to put them on the http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/SOURCES/4.11/

Thanks,
Cynthia Rempel