Delete ChangeLog files Was :Re: ChangeLog change to .ChangeLog

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 6 18:45:35 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 06:56 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 3/6/2013 11:44 AM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>> Ralf,

>>> Again, ... the git-logs are a temporary internal implementation detail,
>>> the ChangeLog files are legal documents.
>> Can you elaborate this more clearly? I can't see any legal character in
>> the changelogs or any RTEMS project files (except the copyright headers
>> and License statements). Nobody sells RTEMS, nobody assures the features
>> of RTEMS based on the Changelogs or the git logs. So what exactly do you
>> mean the "legal"?
> This is an utter and complete BS statement on Ralf's part.
Thanks for demonstrating your real attitude.

> If the
> ChangeLog had
> any legal standing, then the FSF would NOT require submitters to file
> assignment paperwork.
It might have escaped you, but the FSF does require such paperwork for
all submissions except of trivial, non-copyrightable changes.

> There are also many projects without ChangeLog's including the Linux kernel
> which do not have legal problem.
Again - Linus and the kernel folks are a very own circus with a very own
attitude.

There are other projects with very hard changelog requirements:

Probably all Linux distros packages are required to carry changelogs for
their packages in all distros, e.g. Fedora, RedHat, Debian and Ubuntu.

> We will be doing something to eliminate or rename ChangeLog's.
> A majority of core developers have spoken.
I am speechless - You are personally disappointing me.

Do I really have to explain how populism works?  "Want tax reductions"?
Vote Belusconi"!