[rtems commit] sparc/cpu.h: Add comments

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Mar 19 08:39:08 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 07:14 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 3/18/2013 1:05 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> Why is your comment a question?
> Most of the CPU port comment blocks are questions about the parameter
> and a description of that parameter. This is followed by a port specific answer.
>
> I didn't know the best way to phrase the answer.  [And I wanted to get
> this patch off my microblaze branch.]
>
> I think Sebastian added this definition to every port with no comment
> block.

The no_cpu file has a comment:

/**
  * Size of a pointer.
  *
  * This must be an integer literal that can be used by the assembler.  This
  * value will be used to calculate offsets of structure members.  These
  * offsets will be used in assembler code.
  */
#define CPU_SIZEOF_POINTER         4

>If you like, I can propagate the question to all ports with an
> answer like:
>
> The size of a pointer (e.g. void *) is always XXX bytes.
>
> OR
>
> The size of a pointer (e.g. void *) is varies based upon the multilib
> variant. For X and Y, it is NNN bytes. For all others, it is MMM bytes.
>
> Are those viable options?

I don't think we should comment the obvious.  A useful comment would be a
reference to the corresponding ABI document and section.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de