Google Code In Schedule and Tasks

Rempel, Cynthia cynt6007 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Thu Oct 24 02:52:28 UTC 2013

My comments, would be:

1a. Converting the original Classic API specifications (RTEID or ORKID) into Asciidoc

Is reST as good at cross-referencing as doxygen?  Cross-referencing is critical for low maintainence overhead and tracablility.

We should try to have a script do most of the conversion work, and have the students polish the edges...

There is a trac plugin for cross-referencing doxygen... http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DoxygenPlugin

Keeping with doxygen would also reduce the number of documentation languages a developer would need to know...

I suspect that doxygen tags will outlast reST because of IDEs displayin doxygen tags to assist developers with coding

1b. head those down the path of being requirements

Yes, we need to identify the format that will make the generation of the other documentation easy to automate.

1c. To ease readability, the format of the front matter could probably have the similar headings to:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap01.html The front matter should have the same general format as: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap01.html and

A brief description of what a requirement would be: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap13.html#tag_13_00_00_01

I really feel keeping this level of documentation in doxygen format in the headers would make it easier for eclipse users to find (when a user hovers over a function the comments above the function appear)...

2. Start applying doxygen to the BSPs?

Could we use the functions in the simulator BSPs for the functions at the moment?  When we decide what else should be a standard API, we can add those functions later...

3. Newlib changes...

Yes, the restrict keyword sounds good... I'm not familiar enough with the null issue to have an opinion...

Could we also have the students cross-reference functions in http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/head.html to http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/include/ to and http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/ to get newlib more compliant with the new POSIX?

We might also ask the student to propose a location for where the cross-referenced files should go in newlib as well.

4. +1 on the getting-started! Could we also have the students generate screen-shots again?  It would be easier to have students write the test-descriptions if we had the screen-shots (and once the test description is written we can remove them from the repository).

5. Where students would be really useful for forward compatibility is porting the existing rtems wiki pages to trac compatible format.  To ease this, the students would need access to the wiki source of the pages (I know the plan was to lock the pages down, but I'd like to be sure it's possible to access the source during the code-in). It may also be helpful to identify a helper script...

Thanks,
Cindy