Raspberry Pi SD card support

Wed Apr 16 20:49:10 UTC 2014

On 4/16/2014 2:06 PM, Alan Cudmore wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Andre Marques
> <andre.lousa.marques at gmail.com <mailto:andre.lousa.marques at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 04/04/14 20:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>         On 4/4/2014 1:15 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>
>             The license looked fine to me.
>
>         +1
>
>         As always, we just need to be careful on a file per file basis
>         just in case
>         something else in rpi-boot has a different license.
>

>     All files in rpi-boot use a similar licence, so I will be using
>     some code from rpi-boot as a base for this.
>

> Great.
>

>             On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Alan Cudmore
>             <alan.cudmore at gmail.com <mailto:alan.cudmore at gmail.com>>
>             wrote:
>
>                  From my limited research, it looks like the emmc
>                 controller in the Raspberry
>                 Pi BCM2835 may be the way to go.
>                 It looks like it is a high level controller for the
>                 SD/MMC card slot on the
>                 Pi.
>
>                 Since this is a custom controller, I don't think there
>                 would be an existing
>                 driver in RTEMS.
>
>                 It seems that this emmc controller in the Pi may
>                 handle different types of
>                 cards, and at a higher level than just using the SPI
>                 bus to access the card.
>                 ( This is based on some searches of conversations on
>                 the raspberry pi forums
>                 , not my experience )
>
>                 You would have to write a driver for this emmc
>                 controller and provide the
>                 interface to libblock for the file system interface on
>                 RTEMS. The code you
>                 have linked above for rpi-boot looks like it has a
>                 permissive license, so it
>                 *may* be possible to use this code in the RTEMS
>                 driver. There is some other
>                 potentially useful code in there too.
>

>     The mailbox access, mmio read and write and the timer code will
>     also be usefull, and not only for emmc. This timer code differs
>     from the misc/timer.h currently in the raspberrypi BSP, as it
>     waits a certain amount of time (until some register gets updated).
>     The misc/timer.h is a benchmark timer, so one of them would have
>     to be renamed or reorganized.
>

> Can an RTEMS timer be used for the mailbox communication?
> Also, I don't think the benchmark timer code in the RTEMS Raspberry Pi
> BSP is functional.

Do you mean rtems_timer_XXX or the timer in the BSP?

The timer driver in the BSP is strictly for benchmarking -- nothing
else. It is used
by the tmtests and psxtmtests. It should not be used for any other purpose.

How does the mailbox work? Describe it and we can figure out how to best
address
it.
> I have been contacted by someone who is currently working on a console
> driver for the BSP, and has been able to display fonts. We may want to
> include him, because I think the graphics code uses mailbox
> communication to the GPU.
>
> It is very interesting that the GPU is running a commercial RTOS, and
> we will be communicating to it with RTEMS.

:)

>     My plan was to have at the root of the raspberrypi BSP a folder
>     "emmc" for the emmc driver code, and the mailbox, mmio and timer
>     on the misc folder, with the headers on the include folder. What
>     do you think?
>
>     I have been trying the rpi-boot emmc code for the past week, and I
>     modified the hello test to use the emmc driver (an overly
>     simplified version of the rpi-boot, just to read the slot info
>     register for now), and my compilation process has been:
>
>     1. Add/change files in Raspberrypi BSP
>     2. Update Makefile.am
>     3. Run bootstrap -p and bootstrap from the RaspberryPi BSP folder
>     4. (Re)configure RTEMS
>     5. make and make install RTEMS from the root folder
>
> That is pretty much what I do. Although it might be possible to test
> drivers and code in the RKI image, then integrate it into the RTEMS
> tree when it is ready.

--enable-maintainer-mode is supposed to track regenerating the Makefile.in
and configure files when you modify Makefile.am or configure.ac.

The current build system has a serious deficiency in that it does **not**
track the dependency of the test executables on any .a or .h file from
RTEMS.
So the best solution for quick builds is usually to remove the
executable you
are testing and then run make.

Step 3 above is the minimum for a bootstrap. bootstrap -p is only needed
when you add/delete/move .h files.

>     I have been using the --enable-maintainer-mode, but I am not sure
>     about exacly what it simplifies, because I always needed to do
>     those steps for it to compile and link correctly.
>

> I don't know what this does either..

Just tracks dependencies on generated Makefile/configure related files back
to their source.