*** PROFILING DONE XXX *** Message

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Apr 28 23:05:53 UTC 2014

On 29/04/2014 3:05 am, Jennifer Averett wrote:
> Tests now output a *** PROFILING DONE XXX *** message.

Not for me. Please see the attached hello trace for the SIS.

Is this specific to SMP ?

Which BSP are these files based on ?

Which BSPs produce the same output ?

> Should all *.scn files be changed to show this message,
>
> so that automatic testing will work correctly?

I do not see why you need to. Any results based on comparing the output
with these files is suspect. The output contains the ids of various
objects and the base value of these can vary, eg the issue of termios
task mode using an extra semaphore highlights this. Also the unlimited
test depends on the size of the workspace and that can vary. I am not
confident of generating test results unless these things can be
correctly managed and currently only the start and end markers do this.

I see these options:

1. Do not rely on output other than the test start and end tags.
Anything else is consider informational and nothing more. A number of
tests print nothing and given the time it takes to test doing this is a
performance win.

2. Add tags to the scn files to highlight the areas that change. I do
not consider this viable long term because of the overhead of
maintaining the files.

3. Add a tprintf function all "test output" passes through. To this we
add things like '%I' to print a suitable id. The "test output" could be
encapsulated to allow us to track what is considered important and what
is not. Anything not encapsulated is out of band and ignored. The id
base for each type of id in the system would need to be recorded when
testing starts and offsets printed. In the end I am not sure what this
added complexity gives us.

Personally I currently prefer 1. The output becomes informational and
based on a selected reference BSP.