Unused macro: CPU_ISR_PASSES_FRAME_POINTER

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Aug 8 14:02:47 UTC 2014

On 8/8/2014 8:54 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Hi,
> The macro CPU_ISR_PASSES_FRAME_POINTER is part of a cpu port defined
> in cpu.h, but this macro seems to be unused. I don't know what the
> purpose of it was intended. Anyway, it appears to be wrong for some
> architectures (ARM and sparc64 at least, maybe others). Should we
> remove the macro, or find a use for it and make sure it is correctly
> defined for each arch?
The intent is that for simple vectored, some architectures passed a vector
number and some passed a vector number and a pointer to the interrupt
stack frame. This predates the addition of the PIC model.

In general terms, I don't know if all simple vectored architectures
pass one or two parameters.

Is this used anywhere in the tree? Sometimes drivers would use it to
adjust the ISR handler prototype to avoid warnings.