Can User Extensions Be Dynamically Installed?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Aug 8 20:10:25 UTC 2014

Hi

This is a belated response to a comment from Sebastian where he
said you shouldn't call malloc() or rtems_workspace_allocate()
from a create extension.  I am assuming this is due to the tight
calculations in confdefs.h now rather than a critical section issue.

Anyway, if you pull this logical thread, I think this means that user
extension data needs to be accounted for by confdefs.h so it can
be allocated as a side-effect of rtems_task_create() or pthread_create().

If this much is true, then there is no point in dynamically installing
user extensions and we should move to deprecate the user extension
Classic API manager calls and enhance confdefs.h to include the capture
engine and allow any other user extensions to be plugged in statically.

Thoughts?