Using rtl-host in covor - some questions

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Aug 13 21:34:23 UTC 2014

On 8/13/2014 3:49 PM, Krzysztof Mięsowicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your replies :-) I didn't see librld.a because I had old
> version of repo and after updating it appears :-)
>
> I think for now it would be better to get everything integrated with
> old "nm-based" approach. I had it working as a separate module, now I
> will integrate it into covoar. I think that one of next steps may be
> generating symbols without nm.

There are two uses of symbols in covoar.

The first is external and it is generating the "symbols of interest" for
the run. That
is currently a process that runs over the set of libraries of interest
and lists all the
text symbols in those libraries. Doing that with the Python based code
should be a
snap.

The other part is in covoar itself. As it processes each exe and builds
the internal
database of information, it needs the physical address of each method of
interest
in that particular exe. That is done by an invocation of nm with some
magic processing
afterwards. This could be done with libelf I think.
> But I also wonder if it would not be better to focus on changing flow
> of covoar - to avoid multiple runs (one for each symbol set as it
> would be now), because it takes quite long. I think it should be done
> in such way, that covoar reads symbol sets configuration file, runs
> analysis and takes data for all desired symbols from all sets and
> finally performs multiple reporting part, generating simple, generic
> output for each symbols set.

Then covoar knows what purpose and scope of the reports are.  As it
stands now, covoar knows NOTHING
about RTEMS. Let's keep it that way.

covoar gets slower as the set of symbols and tests grows. The standard
run now already does at
least two covoar runs. Once for "all" and one for "core". The build and
test execution time dominates.
As we process smaller sets of symbols, covoar will be faster anyway.
Besides, if it is slow enough,
eventually we will profile and fix it. :)
> Another job I am thinking about doing next is adding more bsps support
> for coverage and getting things working on more bsps. This should be
> quite simple.

This requires the simulator support. But you should be able to do arm
and x86 with qemu.
> There is still one problem waiting for decision :-) What with rtems
> grub boot img for qemu? How should we integrate it into rtems-tools?

Chris?