Info regarding development activity in RTEMS for ARM bsps/Raspberry pi

Hesham Moustafa heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:40:15 UTC 2014

Hi Ritesh,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Ritesh Harjani
<ritesh.harjani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been following RTEMS from quite some time rather I would say my
> questions have been on & off from this community (although I haven't
> contributed anything yet). So, this mail is mainly regarding some help from
> the community members so that I can pitch in to contribute something to this
> community.
>
> Based on my knowledge I would like to start from ARM bsps/raspberry pi as I
> am seeing quite lot of development activity going on in these areas.
>
> If someone can guide me with the following activities it would be great:
>
> 1. I need to just start something, may be with a small patch (which should
> be related to the above mentioned area):
> Earlier I thought of starting with some driver development but without
> having basic knowledge of RTEMS file structure/other areas, I wasn't able to
> complete it.
>
> 2. Need to understand the boot flow and the code initialization routine
> which can give me an idea as to where all and what all drivers are present
> etc etc..
>

> Later may be I can think of porting/developing some driver for any ARM bsp.
>

> Background activity done till now:
>
> 1. Followed all the steps in Alan's Blog
> (http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.in/2013/03/running-your-first-rtems-program-on.html):
> I was able to run ticker.exe sample test on Raspberry pi. Although there are
> some doubts which I have asked below.
>
> 2. Ordered OpenOCD based JTAG board. Once this comes I will make this JTAG
> board start working.
>

> Queries:
> 1. Is by default raspberry pi MMU enabled and all the page table are setup
> ?(from HEAD of git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git)
>
> 2. I cannot see any libmmu tests which I think Hesham developed during GSOC
> 2013 ?
> Do we keep this into different git ?

Some of my project code has been merged (mainly low-level parts of
libmm implemented for Raspberry Pi). The other code is held in my old
github repo here https://github.com/heshamelmatary/rtems-gsoc2013
> 3. With OpenOCD and gdb is it possible to see all the CP15 coprocessor
> registers on ARM ?
>
> 4. How was Hesham able to debug and see the MMU register settings(like
> SCTLR.MMU) during his work on GSoc 2013 libmmu development for raspberry pi
> ? Was it QEMU ?

I was using QEMU for debugging Xilinx Zynq BSP, as well as Realview.
For Raspberry Pi (worked on the HW board, no simulators), I just used
printf to print out the values of registers which I need to peek into.