capture engine ref_count question

Jennifer Averett Jennifer.Averett at OARcorp.com
Tue Aug 26 17:50:24 UTC 2014

During discussions on capture engine modifications Daniel H.
suggested the following

> We suggest to remove the ref_count of the task structures to save

> time and locking. Otherwise we need atomic counters here?

> We suggest to free task structures when reading, by recording time of

> task deletion event we know when last event referencing the task occurred,

> when that time have passed it should be okay to free the task structure?

Can anyone see a problem with this.   My question is will this always work based on the zombie state of the thread?  I thought I saw
new capture tasks created during a delete when a zombie state occurred, but I could be incorrect on that.

It appears that because the thread was "closed", the name field is NULL when this happens.
We know we have seen this and it cannot occur from the Classic API. [1]

[1] This unfortunately can occur for pthreads so this may be a hole to address in the future.

Thanks
jennifer