Info regarding development activity in RTEMS for ARM bsps/Raspberry pi

Ritesh Harjani ritesh.harjani at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:37:58 UTC 2014

Hi Hesham,

Thanks for the info.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Hesham Moustafa <heshamelmatary at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ritesh,
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Ritesh Harjani
> <ritesh.harjani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have been following RTEMS from quite some time rather I would say my
> > questions have been on & off from this community (although I haven't
> > contributed anything yet). So, this mail is mainly regarding some help
> from
> > the community members so that I can pitch in to contribute something to
> this
> > community.
> >
> > Based on my knowledge I would like to start from ARM bsps/raspberry pi
> as I
> > am seeing quite lot of development activity going on in these areas.
> >
> > If someone can guide me with the following activities it would be great:
> >
> > 1. I need to just start something, may be with a small patch (which
> should
> > be related to the above mentioned area):
> > Earlier I thought of starting with some driver development but without
> > having basic knowledge of RTEMS file structure/other areas, I wasn't
> able to
> > complete it.
> >
> > 2. Need to understand the boot flow and the code initialization routine
> > which can give me an idea as to where all and what all drivers are
> present
> > etc etc..
> >

> > Later may be I can think of porting/developing some driver for any ARM
> bsp.
> >

> > Background activity done till now:
> >
> > 1. Followed all the steps in Alan's Blog
> > (
> http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.in/2013/03/running-your-first-rtems-program-on.html
> ):
> > I was able to run ticker.exe sample test on Raspberry pi. Although there
> are
> > some doubts which I have asked below.
> >
> > 2. Ordered OpenOCD based JTAG board. Once this comes I will make this
> JTAG
> > board start working.
> >

> > Queries:
> > 1. Is by default raspberry pi MMU enabled and all the page table are
> setup
> > ?(from HEAD of git://git.rtems.org/rtems.git)
> >
> > 2. I cannot see any libmmu tests which I think Hesham developed during
> GSOC
> > 2013 ?
> > Do we keep this into different git ?
> >
> Some of my project code has been merged (mainly low-level parts of
> libmm implemented for Raspberry Pi). The other code is held in my old
> github repo here https://github.com/heshamelmatary/rtems-gsoc2013

Thanks for the info, but I was unable to find mmtest in your git repo too.
I saw in here: testsuites/libtests/

> > 3. With OpenOCD and gdb is it possible to see all the CP15 coprocessor
> > registers on ARM ?
> >
> > 4. How was Hesham able to debug and see the MMU register settings(like
> > SCTLR.MMU) during his work on GSoc 2013 libmmu development for raspberry
> pi
> > ? Was it QEMU ?
> >
> I was using QEMU for debugging Xilinx Zynq BSP, as well as Realview.
> For Raspberry Pi (worked on the HW board, no simulators), I just used
> printf to print out the values of registers which I need to peek into.

Ya, with print help I was able to get the values of control and aux control
register.
So, by default L1 and L2 caches are enabled, also MMU is enabled :)

*For reference:*
Control register: 0x2085117d
Aux control register: 0x7