Freestanding and Hosted implementations.

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Sat Dec 6 17:04:19 UTC 2014

On 12/06/2014 03:23 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 12/05/2014 07:11 PM, Fernando Alberione wrote:
>> Hello,  I'm making a research about embbedded OS that are using C++
>> compilers. Particularly I need to know:
>>
>> 1) Are you using a freestanding or hosted implementation of the C++ library
>> headers? I mean,
>> how do you define the macro __STDC_HOSTED__?
> By default the RTEMS tool chain uses a hosted environment.
>
>> 2) What C++ and C library headers are you currently supplying, since there
>> are
>> some of them that are not required on the standard (e.g.: iostream,
>> exception, array, thread)?
> I think nobody tested std::thread so far, but it should work out of the
> box since it likely uses pthread for its implementation.

We are using GCC's C++ libraries with no tailoring. So everything
should just work or be broken just like on Linux.  From a high level
viewpoint:

+ RTEMS C++ support == GCC's C++ support
+ RTEMS C library support is newlib's plus some and should be
    near complete
+ RTEMS POSIX support is newlib's plus a lot

There are still POSIX methods possible to have on RTEMS missing
but the list is shrinking. There is a small set also missing
on Cygwin which are showing up slowly in newlib. There are a few
POSIX 2008 pthread methods (2?) we don't have yet.

If you have precise questions, we would have to see if GCC supports
it or newlib/RTEMS. But that's the general status. We use respectable,
full featured upstream sources, port them and layer on our threads
and other missing pieces.

--joel