Using RTEMS Source Builder in/for MinGW

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Feb 2 00:43:27 UTC 2014

On 2/02/2014 1:57 am, Kolja Waschk wrote:

> I'm trying to build RTEMS tools for Blackfin to be used in Windows with
> MinGW. After unsuccessful first attempts to build them in real MinGW
> environment (more on that later), I succeeded with RSB on Ubuntu 13.10
> using --host=i686-w64-mingw32 and can use the results in real MinGW for
> building RTEMS.

Nice to hear this is working. Thanks for the feedback.

> There's only one small glitch: the automake is configured to use
> threads, but (at least in my MinGW environment) perl in MinGW is not
> configured to be used with threads. I have to manually patch
> Automake/Config.pm afterwards to have "perl_threads = 0" instead of 1.
>
> How could I automate that, so that Config.pm in the tars built by RSB
> already have this change applied? Or should I split the process into
> steps -
>
>   1. sb-set-builder with --no-install followed by
>   2. patching Config.pm and
>   3. another sb-set-builder start with --bset-tar-file?

This is all related to bugs in these packages. When doing the cross
builds it uses the build host paths and embeds them. It is only good
luck a cross build of them ever works.

> The build in real MinGW failed at first because during automake build
> some directories ("ae2") were not created or not found. I'll have a look
> into that later, or are there known big problems that prevent successful
> use of RSB in MinGW anyway?

I suggest you use the RSB on the Linux host as you are doing to build
the tools or download an image from here ...

http://www.rtems.org/ftp/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/source-builder/4.11/mingw32/

and build the autotools on Windows with the RSB or manually. When I made
some installers for Windows for RTEMS tools over 10 years ago I got the
installer to download the autotools source and build it as part of the
install to work around this problem.

> I'm using RSB as of 2013-09-15, currently; and for several reasons, in
> my MinGW the default host gcc is an old gcc 4.6. But I doubt that it is
> a problem for the automake tool build.

This is an old RSB version.